Today, I was home sick and became riddled with the cabin fever. I watched several movies, took 1 thousand naps and watched the Food Network for the first time in years. I think the recent barrage of competition cooking shows has soured my taste for The Food Network. My mom and I used to watch Iron Chef, but that was back when it was the ONLY competition cooking show and everybody was still Japanese.
The only shows about food that I really like to watch are the ones that actually instruct you on how to cook. It seems that these shows are now the minority, the same way music videos are rarely ever seen on Much Music anymore. But today, whilst flipping through the channels, I stumbled across Jamie Oliver’s show “Jamie’s 15 Minute Meals”. I watched him cook up a delicious looking Greek Meal in (apparently) 15 minutes and was immediately inspired. I took a short walk to grab some groceries and tried my hand at his “Gorgeous Greek chicken with herby vegetable couscous & tzatziki”.
In the end, it was delicious, although somehow it took me 1.5 hours as opposed to 15 minutes. This is most likely because I do not own a food processor and when I attempted to use my Magic Bullet for the job, it started making soup, so I had to cut my losses and chop the rest by hand. Nevertheless, it was YUMMY. Jamie (my Jamie, not Oliver) agreed and we will definitely be making it again. Perhaps now that I’ve done it once and know what to expect, I could actually make it in 15 minutes! Just kidding, that will never happen.
Ugly: Being sickly and achy and gross.
Awesome: Finding a new healthy recipe that can feed us for days; re-discovering an inspiration for cooking new things; Tasty, TASTY couscous!
Sorry it’s taken me so long to update! Now that it’s been so long since I wrote anything, I feel like I have so much insignificant/very important information to share! In an effort not overwhelm myself and my memory, below is an account of some things that have occupied my brain since my last post:
– New Year’s Eve happened! Jamie and I were in Kingston and we had a lovely dinner with Brodie and Ashley followed by dancing (specifically dance battling).
– My Mom’s Birthday! Happy Birthday mom!
– I took down all our Christmas decorations and have been having fun thinking about normal house decorating. Wish I could visit Houston – a blogger lady who I’ve been following for years just opened a new store called Biscuit full of awesome junk: www.peppermintbliss.com
I’ve been getting inspired by all her crazy colour combos.
– I cut my hair real short and bleached it all! I’ve been thinking about making a change for a while (I’ve had basically the same hair for the past several years) so this weekend I took the plunge! It’s still a teensy bit yellow (we couldn’t do the toner because my scalp was unhappy with me), so I’m going back next week to make it even whiter! Betty White will be so jealz.
– Dance class! After the break, my super friend, Kate, told me about a dance studio near both of our houses. We tried a ballet class together which didn’t work out so great (the teacher was…unstable), but since then I’ve gone to a contemporary class and a Lyrical class which I love! I’m jumping in with both feet and joining the performance class so I’ll have a recital in April. Personal goal of the year: Try to take it seriously and not make fun of it. It’s really hard, though. There’s lots of “emotion”…
– I went on an amazing Value Village shopping spree. Among other things, I bought a Cristian Dior skirt for $6 and a sweater that has a bedazzled satellite on it…probably the best thing I’ve ever purchased.
Well, I guess that’s it till next time! I’ll try to post more often and with less weirdness…
My mom bought me an electric toothbrush for Christmas which is awesome, but it does not match the stylings of my beautiful peach and blue bathroom.
AWESOME: The DIY Electric Toothbrush cover that I made out of a can of cashews…That’s right, I’m crafty!!! So proud of myself…